89 Connect Forums Organisations Corporate Social Responsibility implications for Public Policy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steven Hassy 25/06/2021, 15:06.

• Author
    Robert Crest
    Robert Crest
    Participant
    Halfway
    832 points

I am reading widely about Corporate Social Responsibility and I would like to know your opinions about this topic.

Although the CSR has not yet taken hold within many institutions in the public sector, speaking both for industrial and developing countries, I reckon that its potential to contribute to the development agenda is huge.  Furthermore, nowadays’ need to provide fair and sustainable development highlights the importance of understanding better of the role of public policy with regard to CSR.

In my opinion, government bodies are challenged to identify the most meaningful priorities both at the local and national level, while the CSR is proving to be a powerful tool to deliver social, environmental and economic results. To take this opportunity, governments should encourage a positive development of the CSR alongside key public policy goals and priorities.

Do you agree with my opinion, or are there some major issues that I am leaving out?

Elisa Perez
    Elisa Perez
    Participant
    Halfway
    309 points

Hello Robert, I am really interested in CSR too. I agree almost on everything you said: there is so much to gain from a good and real CSR. However, corporations often act dishonestly and only use CSR to wash out their reputation (look at the so called “Green washing”).
    Of course, the first level of responsibility for any organization should be legal compliance, and the Government plays the protagonist role in setting standards in areas such as employment rights, environmental sustainability and protection, local economy. Government can also supply an institutional and policy framework to stimulate responsible behaviour and higher standards for companies in its territory.
    These are the reasons why I believe that, other than just encouraging CSR, Governments needs to set up a best practice guidance, fiscal incentives and a severe monitoring system.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Elisa Perez.
    Steven Hassy
    Steven Hassy
    Participant
    Newcomer
    58 points

Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is an increasingly pervasive phenomenon in the European and North American economic and political landscape. We begin with a discussion of institutional variation, public policy-making, and the rise of NGOs in Europe and the USA. We then discuss CSR from the perspective of stakeholder theory.

Regards: Essay Writing Service 24 hours

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.