89 Connect Forums European Union EU comparable to USSR? What should be improved?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Robert Crest 27/03/2020, 16:54.

• Author
    Castor Comploj
    Castor Comploj
    Participant
    Newcomer
    93 points

Vladimir Bukovsky spent 12 years in Russian prisons and argues the EU is just like the USSR and will therefore collapse. One of the main motives driving Farage was an apparent lack of democracy within the European Institutions, where a thought is disregarded as soon as it goes against pre-defined values in the EU. My first question here, should the EU not implement a more liberal approach and accept any thought, including AfD, or will it otherwise face the end of the USSR?

Image of the EU is decreasing in value in Italy, fueled by inactivity of the EU during the coronavirus epidemic in Italy. Germany banned any sort of export of medical equipment, leading to a shortage of masks for doctors and respirators which allegedly was the reason for hundreds of deaths. As a result, it is understandable anti-EU sentiment is rising in Italy, especially after China quickly offered support from the other side of the ocean. Regardless of the magnitude of its support, Chinese image in Italy has been bolstered by these actions, likely leading to closer future cooperation. Meanwhile, Von der Leyen speaks on a daily basis on social media, but Italians are questioning actions resulting from such words. Why are there waving EU flags in the background? Propaganda is probably necessary in Europe, but the more evident you make it, the more you risk people noticing.

<span>Bukowski:</span>

<span>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzw59dK0PA8&fbclid=IwAR3s_Ymuxdm0eSi7aFv9Y6RAWJdtEkdPrjObL_HHgldaNzn27Vow3VTp8Co</span&gt;

Von der Leyen (you will need to copy-paste until .. 17):

<span>https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6646063331843158017/</span&gt;

Luka Becker
    Luka Becker
    Participant
    Newcomer
    123 points

I think that the Coronavirus situation has only aggravated the problems within the EU.
    It is more and more obvious that MS are alone and te only way in which the Union can prevail is that they put Europe’s interests ahead of their own.

And yes, I agree that there are similarities with the URSS, as the current leadership is comparable with the politburo when the Soviet Union collapsed – keeping to issue edicts as if they were still relevant. The EU can impose its laws on MS but it lacks the capacity to enforce their compliance.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Luka Becker.
    Robert Crest
    Robert Crest
    Participant
    Newcomer
    150 points

Bukovsky is a man who is so afraid to lose his freedom of opinion, that he calls political correctness an “Intellectual Gulag”… just saying.
    I think he made exaggerated comparisons between the EU and the USSR.

The basic concept of the USSR was to overcome wage slavery. so it is true that as the economy shifted towards service economy and less people were working in factories, the USSR became obsolete. However, the European Union is more than that, and it is more than “a common European economic area”. The free market economy could become obsolete as fast as the industrial capitalism. We share values, ideals, rights, history, and we could share much more.

I’m as much European as I am a citizen of my country at the same time, and this is what I would be even without the EU. However, it makes me happy to see that continent begins to acknowledge what all of its parts have in common, and how we can live better if working towards a common future.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.