89 Connect Forums Academia Which is better: Text content and video content

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dino Galinovic 08/11/2020, 11:16.

• Author
    jay white
    jay white
    Participant
    Newcomer
    60 points

A lot of things come under consideration when we talk about the web content of any company or business. It can be quite hard to decide which one is better and which one is worse, as both of the type have their own unique features. However, some ghostwriting company told us that even video creation needs the written content for its script. If the video is just based on music and action, it will not need any text. However, they claimed that many video makers ask them to create good scripts for their videos. Considering the fact, we can say that text content is more important than videos as the videos also usually rely on textual scripts. Have you ever seen a movie with story or dialogues?

Robert Crest
    Robert Crest
    Participant
    Halfway
    817 points

Well, as far as I know, a video script is a chronological run-down of every part of a video, meaning shots, scenes, musical/other effects, actions and dialogues. So yes, you can have a video without dialogues but still need a script for everything else in that video, and for the shooting itself.

I’m not sure what we are talking about here, though. Is it just a comparison? Well, they are really different, so I don’t know where to start from. For example, a video is made by different communication tools (visual, auditory, textual and probably something I don’t know about), while a text is just made by words. And then, think about a song. A singer usually puts some music on the backing, even though the text could be enough. And what about when they make a video to complete it? In that case the video helps the text, and not viceversa. I don’t think one is better than the other.

“Have you ever seen a movie with story or dialogues?” Do you mean *without, right? If it is the case, I’ve seen movies without dialogues. Not sure movies without story exist, though.

Lily Llewellyn
    Lily Llewellyn
    Participant
    Newcomer
    92 points

Intersting topic.

I would be inclined to believe visuals are more important than text.  How many times have we looked at a poster without reading a word.

Dino Galinovic
    Dino Galinovic
    Participant
    Halfway
    1,062 point

Hi Jay,

interesting topic. I am not sure what exactly you were aiming for or from which specific professional fields you wanted to hear opinions, but here are my thoughts.

I can’t speak about video or text content in the field of entertainment or so-called pop culture, but rather from the perspective of politics, government public affairs, project communications, and so on.

From my experience, both are equally important. However, visuals such as video, poster, or a billboard, have a more significant impact on the audience, and it’s the way to compel them to pay attention. If you choose a video as your communication tool, you will need a script. The script is not only a text, but it’s also guidance for the narrator and actors who need to deliver messages to a broader audience.

In my experience with different projects, campaigns, or public affairs tasks, we live in a time when you can not exclude either visuals or text because you need them both to reach as many people as possible. Visuals can be powerful, but what if it’s not understandable to the audience? Then, you will need a text to explain what they saw. In case you are using a language (text) that can be perceived as complicated, addressing politicized or polarizing issues, you will have to use different visual tools to make sure your message is both understandable to, for example, people with lower education level, or making your topic/product/policy/person more likable by using specific visuals, color pallets, body posture, etc.

I just believe we live in a time where you cannot exclude one of them from a communication process.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.